Why do I have to read foreign papers to find articles arout these disturbing facts? “A shocking 37 million Americans live in poverty. That is 12.7 per cent of the population – the highest percentage in the developed world.“
And these aren’t unemployed or homeless folks. Most have jobs.
Some more facts from the same article:
· There are 37 million Americans living below the poverty line. That figure has increased by five million since President George W. Bush came to power.
· The United States has 269 billionaires, the highest number in the world.
· Almost a quarter of all black Americans live below the poverty line; 22 per cent of Hispanics fall below it. But for whites the figure is just 8.6 per cent.
· There are 46 million Americans without health insurance.
· There are 82,000 homeless people in Los Angeles alone.
· In 2004 the poorest community in America was Pine Ridge Indian reservation. Unemployment is over 80 per cent, 69 per cent of people live in poverty and male life expectancy is 57 years. In the Western hemisphere only Haiti has a lower number.
· The richest town in America is Rancho Santa Fe in California. Average incomes are more than $100,000 a year; the average house price is $1.7m.
This all makes about as much sense as those in power showing utter disdain for a democratically elected head of state in Venezuela and being buddy buddy Saudi Arabia a totally nondemocratic nation controlled by a single family through a King.
Something is terribly wrong with the entire country if we don’t call the criminals in power on their bogus illegal and immoral governance. These freaking emperors not only are wearing no clothes they are engaged in masturbation and no one is saying a word.
It makes me ashamed to be an American if this is what the U.S. has become.
Man Eegee says
Hi Artemesia Pax, just discovered your blog via the Lefty Blogs news reel. I’m in Tucson also and completely agree with your take on our situation here. I don’t get it, you would think things like torture, rendition, soaring poverty and never-ending war would be enough to wake up the masses, but I feel like I still have alot of waiting to do. Thanks again for your post. Paz, Man Eegee.
Artemesia Pax says
well with you, me and the heart of the pda from these parts — maybe we can take over the democratic party and kick some republican bootie… but it really is beyond r and d…. it is about corportism and greed and a serf mentality that has developed over the last twenty years. We have to wake them up NOW or it will be too late. But how do we do it?
Jeff Vachon says
Bush has claimed that there are more jobs now. However, he failed ot mention that you need three of these jobs to stay above the poverty line. His disregard for humanity should not be allowed to continue!
It is a sad state of affairs, isn’t it? The really distressing thing, I think though, is the way many of us just think of it as “sad” instead of something we should be outraged over.
I love what America stands for. I just hope that someday we’ll realize it.